Chronic migraines are one of the most disabling and most painful conditions to have. Today is National Chronic Migraine Awareness day. Today we join together to help bring some noise to the pain that causes a lot of noise in our head. A noise so loud that it takes over a lot of our days.
Here are some facts about Chronic migraines
- More than 4 million adults experience chronic daily migraine – with at least 15 migraine days per month.
- Migraine is the 3rd most prevalent illness in the world.
- Nearly 1 in 4 U.S. households includes someone with migraine.
- Every 10 seconds, someone in the U.S. goes to the emergency room complaining of head pain, and approximately 1.2 million visits are for acute migraine attacks.
- A migraine usually lasts between 4 and 72 hours.
- More than 90% of sufferers are unable to work or function normally during their migraine.
- Migraine is a neurological disease with extremely incapacitating neurological symptoms.
- Attacks are often accompanied by one or more of the following disabling symptoms: visual disturbances, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, extreme sensitivity to sound, light, touch and smell, and tingling or numbness in the extremities or face.
- About 25% of migraine sufferers also have a visual disturbance called an aura, which usually lasts less than an hour.
- Medication overuse is the most common reason why episodic migraine turns chronic.
- 60% of migraine patients improve after therapeutic intervention.
- Migraine sufferers, like those who suffer from other chronic illnesses, experience the high costs of medical services, too little support, and limited access to quality care.
- Foods can cause migraines.
- In 2019, there are about 500 certified headache specialists in the U.S. and 39 million sufferers.
- Being active can help reduce or prevent migraines.
- A child who has one parent with migraine has a 50% chance of inheriting it, and if both parents have migraine, the chances rise to 75%.
- Roughly 1 in 4 women will experience migraine in their lives.
- Strong scents or perfumes can cause migraines.
- Everyone either knows someone who suffers from migraine or struggles with migraine themselves.
- Despite the high cost of migraines, research is underfunded.
- Menstrual migraines are more severe and more difficult to treat than other types of migraine.
- 85% of chronic migraine sufferers are women.
- Migraine is the 6th most disabling illness in the world.
- Sometimes it causes blindness.
All the information above is from the MigraineResearchFoundation.Org
Migraines are still unfortunately understood and is often undiagnosed. It is a pain you cannot not see, but yet it demands to be felt no matter what you do to try and ignore it. So many people suffer from it and so little goes towards the research and understanding of them. We all are at different levels of severity and do our best to function as normal as we can considering this debilitating pain we get and have to live with.